The law is complicated. My job is to cut through the complexities and find practical solutions for my clients.
Dan has been recognized as Omaha’s “Lawyer of the Year” in two different practice areas. Over the past 30 years at McGrath North, Dan has helped clients navigate the maze of laws that strike most people as “legal mumbo jumbo.” Dan delivers what clients want most from their lawyer: practical, effective legal advice. For Dan, it is all about helping clients minimize their legal risk, while at the same time paying attention to the client’s needs from a business perspective. When clients run up against a complicated challenge, Dan tackles it head on with dogged determination and experience, and figures out how to get the job done.
Dan’s most rewarding experiences come from his long-standing relationships with his clients. Dan knows that you have to fully understand the client and their business in order to provide them with the most effective representation, and Dan does not take his role lightly. While Dan’s practice primarily involves providing counsel to clients on corporate, contract, tax and financial-related matters, he draws on the full resources of the firm in providing a comprehensive solution for the client.
"By staying focused on the client, the relationship I forge with them is strong and long lasting. My years at McGrath North have been especially rewarding because of the clients I have had the privilege to represent."
- Creighton University School of Law (J.D., Cum Laude, 1990)
- Creighton University (B.S.B.A. in Finance, Cum Laude, 1987)
- Nebraska (1990)
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals (1992)
- U.S. Tax Court (1993)
In its newly released 2022 edition, The Best Lawyers in America® has recognized 47 McGrath North attorneys in the full range of specialty practice areas key to supporting businesses of all sizes across a broad range of industries. Of these partners recognized based on peer-review surveys, 11 were named “Lawyer of the Year.” This honor is awarded to only one attorney with the highest overall peer-feedback for a specific practice area and geographic location.
A cross purchase agreement is the simplest form of a buy-sell agreement, as it involves a contract solely among the business owners. Under this structure, a withdrawing owner agrees to sell their interest to one or more of the remaining owners. This form is most suitable for businesses with only a few owners. A redemption agreement provides that the entity itself will purchase the withdrawing owner’s business interest. Such a purchase may be funded by life or disability buyout insurance acquired on the owner. Hybrid agreements combine these two structures and allocate purchase rights and obligations between the entity and the remaining owners. Typically, the entity has the first option to purchase the interest. To the extent the entity does not exercise that option, the remaining owners have the right or the obligation to purchase the interest.
Some people are just not planners. They just let things happen, feeling like they really cannot control the outcome. Well that’s just not true when it comes to estate planning. Estate planning is an area that you can get very predictable outcomes if you put some time and effort into it. The purpose of this article is to summarize several key points about estate planning, and how you can achieve great results and avoid surprises.
- President, Omaha Alumni Chapter of Alpha Sigma Nu
- New Cassel Foundation Board Member
- Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce, Past Executive Dialogue Committee Member
- Nebraska State Bar Association, Past Member of House of Delegates
- Omaha Bar Association, Past Member of Public Service Committee
- “Best Lawyers in America”, Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for:
- Tax Law, Omaha (2020)
- Corporate Law, Omaha (2013)
- Listed: “Best Lawyers in America”, Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, Corporate Law, Tax Law, Trusts and Estates
- Listed: Great Plains Super Lawyers (Business/Corporate, Tax, Estate Planning & Probate) 2013-2014
- Creighton Law Review Associate Staff
- International Moot Court Board (President 1989-1990)
- Recipient of Law School Outstanding Service Award
- Who’s Who Among American Law Students
- Creighton University Dean’s Honor Roll
- Listed: Martindale-Hubbell, AV/Preeminent Rating
- Related Practices
- Banking and Commercial Financial Services
- Business and Corporate
- Real Estate
- Tax, Trusts and Estates
- Related Industries